Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Katie Holmes and my neck

Last night, I took a stab at tossing some old magazines, but not before I flipped through them to make sure there was nothing I wanted to keep. I had a difficult time letting go of the January InStyle with cover girl Katie Holmes. This isn't new. I had a hard time throwing out her June 05 issue as well. She was so lucky, I thought, having just moved to New York City and essentially living my dream life in the West Village complete with cupcakes. Apparently she then met Tom Cruise and we all know how that turned out.

Again, as apparent in January, Katie is living out some of my goals (completing a marathon, having a really cute daughter), I realized she also is living out the goals of my neck. As I was admiring the black Armani dress she wore in the piece, I saw it. The strapless dress with one strap was to lengthen her neck, to make her look leaner up top. I then flipped to the other fashion pictures and I got it.

Katie Holmes has a short neck. And so do I.

I really love the fact that Katie has a short neck. Really I do. Last week I decided that I have to step up my game in terms of clothing and being to focus on dressing myself for my proportions in clothes that I actually like. The one area I've struggled with is my neck. While I am tall, my neck is not. Making matters all the more noticable: I have boobs. Not just any set, but a big set. Did I mention that I also carry my weight up top, like an apple? Additionally, I have a short torso; long legs, short torso. Hard to locate waist.

In the midst of all this reality, I was ecstatic to see that Katie Holmes has a short neck, mainly because I can now learn more about how to dress my short neck from looking at all those Us Weekly mags that I tend to not pay attention to (unless Lauren Conrad is on the cover....her I will read about, but when I see Brad and Angelina or Tom and Katie, my eyes glaze over). It is good to know that lines, and not just v-necks, can elgongate the area and I'm not going over the top with a one shoulder Grecian inspired top.

Thank you, Katie, for having a short neck. I salute you. Now, if I could just find my running shoes....

No comments: